Yes. According to research from Hargreaves Lansdown.
This is a great article we can all learn from. I hadn’t thought about it in quite these terms but their conclusions pretty much mirror my own experience with clients, especially since I have been providing guidance on how to get the best results from platforms such as Hargreaves Lansdown.
I encourage you to read the full article but it suggests that women are more likely to exhibit the following good investment practices:
- A good level of investment diversification.
- Fewer speculative investments.
- A long term “buy and hold” investment strategy.
- Making the most of ISA accounts.
What other lessons can we learn?
- Women are much less likely to suffer large losses. That’s because us men are far more “gung ho” and can’t resist speculative high risk investments. When one or two come off we get even more ambitious until the large loss wipes out all the gains.
- Women are far less likely to over trade and will thus avoid fees which can seriously eat into returns.
- Women are significantly more likely to take advantage of tax advantages such as ISAs.
What is important to both sexes?
- Having a robust monitoring process in place. Holding funds no longer on the Wealth 150 list (Hargreaves Lansdown’s list of preferred funds) has the potential to negatively impact performance.
- Two heads are better than one. Linked accounts, where more than one investor can access an account, have worked best of all. Even better could be linking your account to the type of guidance service offered by my Investment and Retirement Coach Service. If I can help you avoid some of the big mistakes it could significantly improve results.
So whether you are a Hargreaves Lansdown investor or not this is a really useful article but only if you learn from it and take some action. If you would like a financial services professional with more than 30 years experience on your side and would like to know more about my Investment and Retirement Coach Service just email or text me, Richard, on 07770 575122.
You have absolutely nothing to lose, except 15 minutes of your time, and loads to gain.
PS. Ladies please leave a comment even if it’s just to tell us men how clever you are!
This document and our on going services are not personal advice. We'll give you all the help and guidance you need to make your investment and retirement decisions, but we can't advise you. If you're not sure whether you need regulated financial advice we can put you in touch with a suitably qualified and experienced regulated adviser. Because we are not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority you will not have access to the Financial Ombudsman Service in respect of any complaints. If you use one of the "no advice" on line services to handle investment transactions they will be Regulated and you will have access to the Ombudsman and The Financial Compensation Scheme in respect of their services. The value of investments/pension plans can fall or rise depending on market performance. The Retirement Team and The Investment and Retirement Coach are trading names of Capture Success Ltd Reg No 01825075 Tel 07770575122